Friday, February 15, 2008

Final Picks

The Oscars are still more than a week away, but I'm ready to make my final picks. Please bear in mind that these picks are who I think will win - not nescessarily who I want to win.

Best Picture: There Will Be Blood
Best Director: Joel & Ethan Cohen
Best Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis
Best Actress: Julie Christie
Best Supporting Actor: Javier Bardem
Best Supporting Actress: Tilda Swinton
Best Original Screenplay: Juno
Best Adapted Screenplay: No Country For Old Men
Best Cinematography: There Will Be Blood
Best Editing: The Bourne Ultimatum
Best Art Direction: Atonement
Best Costumes: Elizabeth: The Golden Age
Best Makeup: La Vie En Rose
Best Visual Effects: Transformers
Best Sound: Transformers
Best Sound Effects Editing: Transformers
Best Score: Atonement
Best Song: "Falling Slowly" from Once

You'll notice that I've changed my mind about a few categories. Upon reflection, and deep consultation with the mystic oracle (i.e. Entertainment Weekly) I think Transformers has a better shot at the Visual Effects and Sound categories than I originally onsidered. I'm still picking Bourne Ultimatum for Best Editing. Also, despite my low opinion of No Country, support has been growing. I'm going to pick it for Adapted Screenpplay over There Will Be Blood. EW and I still disagree on many categories (Costumes, Editing, Art Direction, and Picture) but I'm confident with these choices.

Now I don't make official picks for the short films, documentary, and animated films, but this year I'd like to make a few unofficial predictions. Oscar magnet Michael Moore is up for Documentary Feature for Sicko, but I think it will get beat by No End In Sight - a critically acclaimed, level-headed, unbiased look at a badly-planned war. Also, the Best Animated Feature category is a weird on this year. We have the perennial Pixar entry (Ratattouille), a movie about surfing penguins (Surf's Up), and a tender look at a free-spirited girl dealing with life in an opressive culture (Persepolis). Oscar loves penguins and Pixar's record is impressive, but I'm going to have to go with Persepolis on this one. Substance beats flash, and how often do you see a socially relevant animated film?

So the final count, according to my predictions is: There Will Be Blood: 3, No Country: 3, Atonement: 2, Michael Clayton: 1, and Juno: 1.

That's it for now - The Oscars will be held on Sunday, February 24 at 8:00pm Eastern Time. Check out the pre-show and the specials before the show on ABC. After the show, I'll post the list of winners and give a run-down of the show with my superlatives. Happy Oscar Night, everyone!

No comments: