Thursday, August 7, 2008

Doug's Olympic Dream

I've had a lot of unexpected honors in my career as a composer - I've had schoolkids write essays about me, My music has been performed at major festivals and conferences, and I've received a lot of compliments through the years both in person and via e-mail - but I do have an unrealized dream.

Ever since I was but a wee Doug, I've thought about how great it would be for one of my compositions to accompany a floor exercise routine at the Olympics. I remember watching the telecasts of past Olympics and hearing all sorts of great, exciting music during the gymnastics competitions and hoped that someday, some of my music would be selected.

Wouldn't it be cool to see those impossible flips and turns accompanied with Gauntlet, Avatar, or Agincourt? Recordings are readily available online (www.alfred-music.com), but the real issue is exposure. My student-level orchestra music is little-known outside the realm of school orchestras and young gymnasts have no time for activities outside their sport, so they probably wouldn't know that my music exists.

So: If you know a young gymnast looking for an exciting piece of music for her routine, do me a solid and steer her over to the Alfred website. Maybe she'll go far and make both our dreams come true.

No comments: