I decided to tackle the second of my loose fragments first. Since that piece (a fast waltz) is for an intermediate-level orchestra and is less complicated, I figured I could whip it up in no time. And I was right - I got it done yesterday afternoon and celebrated with a trip to the theater (my alma mater had a production of "How To Succeed..." It was very well done).
Now it's back to work. I shaped a main theme today and transitioned it into the secondary theme I'd already developed. This one has some exciting rhythms and I think it will be popular. Up next, it needs a contrasting "C" theme and a recap. Hopefully I can get it done by Thanksgiving.