Thursday, March 26, 2009

Fumbler

I've had a few false starts with that third movement to my clarinet sonata, so I've decided to put it away for a bit, focus on something else, and then come back to it fresh.

The something else is a new piece for student orchestras - a diabolical little etude that uses a lot of chromatic passages. Especially 2nd finger C-C# and F-F# combos and 1st finger B-Bb combos. It's like a tongue twister for the left hand (or, as sign-language speakers call it, a "finger fumbler") Just to make things a little more interesting, the whole thing is one giant accelerando. All that fancy fingering may seem easy at first, but the piece gets faster and faster and becomes more of a challenge. I hope students will really like the challenge of this one.

Of course, as always, the title is the hard part. I'm thinking "Accidentally On Purpose" is too long. I'd love to incorporate "Diabolical" into it - especially since it would go well with the piece's minor key.

No comments: