Monday, April 27, 2009

Selecting New Music

It's that time of year when I take a look at what I've written and decide what to send to my publishers. This year, I've overproduced a bit, so I have a few options on what to send. They usually only choose two or three from the eight pieces I submit, so I like to give them a wide variety of styles and ability levels to choose from. They can't all be dark, minor-key pieces or light scherzos and they can't all be intermediate-level pieces. This year I've selected two beginner-level pieces, two advanced pieces, three intermediate-level pieces, and one that sort of crosses in between. Of those, two are "Gauntlet-esque" (minor key, fast tempo), one is a fast major-key selection, two are lighter fare in various keys, and two are what I'd call "novelty" pieces.

I'm still making final adjustments but, more urgently, two of the eight pieces are still untitled. I've put it off for way too long, hoping that the perfect titles would come to me, but now I really need to make some hard decisions - and quick. My goal is to ship off a packet next week.

No comments: