Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Best Animated Feature

I normally don't make official picks for the short films and documentaries unless there's a big standout in one of the categories.  This year, I'm determined not to fall into that trap and I expect my overall score to be the better for it.

EDITED TO ADD: The animated short A Matter of Loaf and Death is the fourth Wallace & Grommit short from Aardman and director Nick Park and is strongly favored to win.  I'm still not picking this category.

I'm also not going to make an official pick for Best Foreign Language film.  The first time I heard of any of this year's films was when they were announced on nomination day.  I don't even think most of them have been released in the US yet.

I will, however, make an official pick for Best Animated Feature.  The nominees are Coraline, Fantastic Mr. Fox, The Princess and the Frog, The Secret of Kells, and Up.  I really enjoyed Coraline, but it may be too dark for a win.  The producers of The Secret of Kells have made a point of not advertising it and without publicity, you just can't expect an Oscar.  Princess and Mr. Fox got some attention outside this category for their music, but Up leads with an additional four nominations, including Best Picture and Original Screenplay.  It's the clear front-runner and is poised to extend Pixar's unprecedented Oscar record.

No comments: