Friday, March 5, 2010

Final Oscar Picks

The Oscars are this Sunday evening on your local ABC station!  If you're like me, you'll tune in to the red carpet coverage well ahead of time (E! usually starts up around noon).

Before I get to my list of final Oscar predictions, I have some great news!  Entertainment Weekly came out with their own predictions recently and, except for one category, we both picked all the same winners.  Even The Young Victoria for Best Costumes, which surprised me!  For Original Screenplay they picked The Hurt Locker (on the basis that it's the favorite for Best Picture and the Best Picture usually takes a screenplay award) but I picked Inglourious Basterds because... I thought it was a better screenplay.

EW has a great Oscar prognosticator and they traditionally have a better record than I do (except in 2004 when I rocked it out and blew away their score *fist pump*). I figure it's because I'm either too stubborn to reconsider my picks or I veer from my initial instincts at the last minute.  But because they pick every category and I opt out of the Documentary and Short Film categories, EW has more to lose than I do.

Here's my final list of Oscar predictions:

Best Picture: The Hurt Locker
Best Director: Kathryn Bigelow, The Hurt Locker
Best Actor: Jeff Bridges
Best Actress: Sandra Bullock
Best Supporting Actor: Christoph Waltz
Best Supporting Actress: Mo'Nique
Best Original Screenplay: Inglourious Basterds
Best Adapted Screenplay: Up In the Air
Best Cinematography: The Hurt Locker
Best Film Editing: The Hurt Locker
Best Art Direction: Avatar
Best Costumes: The Young Victoria
Best Makeup: Star Trek
Best Visual Effects: Avatar
Best Sound Effects Editing: Avatar
Best Sound Mixing: Avatar
Best Score: Up
Best Song: "The Weary Kind" from Crazy Heart
Best Animated Feature: Up

You'll notice that I'm predicting a pretty even distribution of hardware this year, with four Oscars each to Avatar and The Hurt Locker, two each to Up, Inglourious Basterds, and Crazy Heart, and one each to five other films.  Except for Visual Effects and maybe Supporting Actress, I don't think there's any category that has a solid lock this year and I'm most apprehensive about my picks in the Score, Costumes, and Screenplay categories.  I'm predicting the first ever female Best Director, the third-ever African American Best Supporting Actress (after Hattie McDaniel and Whoopi Goldberg), and the fourth-ever Austrian to win an Oscar for acting (Paul Muni, Louise Rainer, and Maximillian Schell were the other three). Also, if The Hurt Locker wins the big prize, it will be the lowest-grossing Best Picture in Oscar history.

Enjoy the show!  Happy Oscar Night, everyone!

1 comment:

Bruce said...

How was your favorite holiday? My personnal preference was Avatar mostly because it was the only adult film I have seen this year. My daughter is 13, maybe we will get some good movies in the future.