Monday, February 27, 2012

Oscar Night Post-Mortem

Well, I had a pretty good Oscar night!  I correctly picked 15 out of 19, which is a 79% success rate.  Here's how it turned out (I've asterisked my correct picks):


Best Picture: The Artist*
Best Director: Michael Hazanavicius, The Artist*
Best Actor: Jean Dujardin, The Artist*
Best Actress:
Meryl Streep, The Iron Lady
Best Supporting Actor: Christopher Plummer, Beginners*
Best Supporting Actress: Octavia Spencer, The Help*
Best Original Screenplay: Midnight In Paris*
Best Adapted Screenplay: The Descendants*
Best Editing: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
Best Cinematography: Hugo
Best Score: The Artist*
Best Song:
"Man or Muppet" The Muppets*
Best Art Direction:
Hugo*
Best Costumes: The Artist*
Best Makeup: The Iron Lady*
Best Sound: Hugo*
Best Sound Editing:
Hugo*
Best Visual Effects: Hugo
Best Foreign Language Film: A Separation*


I didn't pick the Short Film, Documentary, or Animated Feature categories, but here's who won:


Documentary Feature: Undefeated
Documentary Short: Saving Face
Live Action Short: The Shore

Animated Short: The Fantastic Flying books of Mr. Morris Lessmore
Animated Feature: Rango


I probably could have picked Rango, but all the others would have ruined my average. I dodged a bullet there.


It was a good show - Billy Crystal never disappoints and it moved quickTributes and montages were kept to a minimum, there were no musical performances, and the thing Cirque Du Soleil was entertaining.  It was a lean, entertaining show. I had fun this year, even without writing a series of long blog posts. I can't wait for next year's Oscar season where, no doubt, I will be rooting for The Hobbit.
 

No comments: